Saturday, June 22, 2013

Parshat Bi'Shalach
This week's parsha has the very cool pillar of fire and clouds that Hashem sent to protect the Jewish people in the desert during the cold nights and hot days, respectively. 
I had some cut out cookie dough in the freezer. I used a flower cutter and squished it more horizontal as i pressed out the clouds, and used a tree shape (Christmas tree cutter) and pulled out the "branches" to look fire-like. My kids did NOT figure out that these were clouds and fire....not my most successful parsha dessert, I guess, but I heard more munching noises than complaints :)




Parshat Shelach

 Spies are sent to Israel to see the land and they return with giant fruit and nervous tales! I took marshmallows and dipped them quickly in water and then rolled them in ... couldn't find purple sprinkles....had to use purple jello powder! Sounds horrible but was incredible tasting! Crunchy and sweet! Added pretzel piece and leaf to make the giant grapes look more realistic.

 In this week's parsha is also the story of the 'mikoshesh etzim' (tree cutter), who did the milacha on Shabbat and was punished severely. These are supposed to look like bundles of wood. I tied them in bundles with a half strip of sour belts. 




 Parshat Chukat
Moshe hits the rock to try and get water. Blue kosher jello very hard to find, so I used gatorade instead of water, mixed it with the pack of unflavoured uncoloured Gelatin and the kids loved the taste of the blue jello! I added a pretzel stick and candy rock to complete the stick-hitting on the rock. I don't like this part of the parsha (who does?) but couldn't come up with other ideas for it...


 Parshat Balak
The tents of the Jewish people were mounted in modest ways so that privacy was maintained between the families. (openings of the tent faced away from one another). I used fruit leather, bent in the middle, on top of the brownies (?desert-coloured ground) and my trusty pretzel sticks to look like tent poles. (Last year I had a larger cake and was able to make a circle of tents and even a little bonfire from red icing and pretzel sticks, but I don't think that i ever took a photo of it...)



No comments:

Post a Comment